Comprehensive Women’s Health Clinic at the San Francisco Veterans Affairs Medical Center
As a woman Veteran, you have unique health care needs, some of which may have been impacted by your service. Our VA health care providers understand those concerns and can help you get the care you need and deserve.
The Comprehensive Women’s Health Clinic offers gender-sensitive primary care, cervical cancer screening, reproductive health care, sexual health services, mental health care, and maternity care coordination in a separate, designated space for women Veterans. In addition, our LGBTQ+ Clinic offers gender-affirming services.
You have choices at VA
If you have a preference regarding the gender of your health care provider, please let our staff know so we can help schedule you accordingly. VA also provides chaperones for sensitive exams (like pelvic exams), and you can choose to have a chaperone for any exam.
Don’t live in San Francisco? You can choose to receive your primary care and mental health care at one of our Community Based Outpatient Clinics (CBOCs) or utilize care at the Comprehensive Women’s Health Clinic through video or phone visits. All our CBOCs have designated women’s health clinicians who are trained to provide high-quality gender-sensitive primary care to women Veterans.
Health Services Offered
Routine primary care, as well as some specialty care, is available at our Comprehensive Women’s Health Clinic located in building 203 on the SFVAMC campus. Some care may require referrals to other specialists or centers. Other services, such as audiology and optometry can be scheduled without a referral. The SFVAMC campus houses a host of services including:
- Comprehensive primary care including breast and cervical cancer screening
- Preventive health screening
- Birth control counseling and management
- Menopause care
- Specialty gynecology services
- Osteoporosis evaluation and care
- Sexually Transmitted Infections evaluation and treatment
- Reproductive health care, including gynecological care and appropriate referrals for obstetrical care, infertility evaluation, and genetic testing
- Urinary incontinence evaluation and treatment
- Women's Cardiac Clinic
- Nutrition, weight management, and health coaching
- Rural Women's Telehealth Outreach - Boost Team
Mental Health and Sexual Trauma Counseling
As part of your VA health benefits, we offer comprehensive mental and behavioral health services.
- Mental health for concerns such as anxiety/depression, low mood, chronic medical conditions, posttraumatic stress disorder (PTSD) and military sexual trauma
- Sexual trauma counseling
- Substance use treatment
- Support groups
- Integrative Care including referrals for acupuncture and massage therapy
- Health Coaching
- Peer Support
If you are enrolled in VA care and aren’t sure who to call, or if you have questions, call our Advice Nurse. Registered nurses can provide you and your family with helpful medical advice and free, confidential answers to many of your health care questions. Call anytime. We’re here 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. You can reach the 24-hour nurse advice hotline at 800-733-0502 and select option 3.
Outside of San Francisco
In addition to our Comprehensive Women’s Health Clinic at the SFVAMC campus, the SFVA Health Care System has nine other clinics located in the bay area and north coast. All our primary care clinic sites have designated women’s health clinicians who are trained to provide high-quality gender-sensitive primary care to women Veterans. All our clinics, including the Comprehensive Women’s Health Clinic, offer video and telephone appointments. We know it’s challenging to get to VA clinics and it can be difficult to find the right medical team. If you are struggling to find the right care team to meet your needs, please call the Comprehensive Women’s Health Clinic and a member of our Women and Trans Telehealth Outreach Team - Boost Team can assist.
Make an Appointment
- Make an appointment online
- Make an appointment for primary care by phone
Toll free: 877-487-2838, select 4
Direct: 415-750-2129, ext. 4
- Contact the Comprehensive Women's Health Clinic
San Francisco VA Medical Center
Bldg. 203, 1st Floor, Room 1B
Apply for VA Health Care
If you are not enrolled in VA health care, you may sign up one of these ways:
- Apply in person, by mail, or online
- Call the toll-free hotline at 877-222-8387, Monday – Friday, 5 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- Call, text, or chat online
Register for Care at SFVAHCS
Once you’re enrolled in VA health care, you can register as a new patient at SFVAHCS using one of the following options:
- Call Member Services: 415-221-4810 and select option 4
- Visit a Member Services office in person: SFVA Main Campus, Building 2, Ground Floor, Room 49
- Visit any SFVAHCS Outpatient Clinic and ask for Member Services
- Download your VA welcome packet and instructions here
- Download your local San Francisco area VA welcome packet here
- Call, text, or chat online with the Women Veterans Call Center (WVCC) at 855-829-6636 to get help and find available resources and services in your area. VA Women Veterans Call Center representatives are available Monday – Friday, 5:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m., and Saturday, 5:00 a.m. to 3:30 p.m., excluding federal holidays. If you contact the Women Veterans Call Center after hours and leave a message, you will receive a return call the next day the call center is open.